AYUSH is an abbreviation for Ayurveda, Yoga, Unani, Siddha, and Homeopathy. It is a group of treatments that are different from conventional healthcare that is practiced in clinics and hospitals. While AYUSH treatments are essentially based on the concept of natural treatment, AYUSH treatments also include pharmacological treatments like drugs to cure specific ailments and maintain overall health. These drugs usually contain natural ingredients that make it easier for the body to absorb and benefit from fewer side effects. Following the amendment in the IRDAI regulations, many health insurance companies are now covering for AYUSH treatment, especially for insured family members aged 60 years and above. You can visit the official website of IRDAI for further details.
Importance of AYUSH treatment
In recent years, there has been a shift from traditional medicine to alternative therapies such as Homeopathy, Ayurveda, Naturopathy, and Yoga. In support of this trend, health insurance companies have started offering coverage for alternative methods of treatment as part of their health insurance policy. So, if you believe in the power of alternative medicine, you can enlist the support of health insurance.
Aiming to shed more light on AYUSH related treatments, the Government of India established the Ministry of AYUSH in 2014 and as a result brought in the National Board of Hospitals (NABH) to initiate the implementation of quality health standards for hospitals providing AYUSH treatment. Today, more than 50 hospitals across India are recognized for providing reliable and authentic AYUSH related treatment. * Standard T&C Apply
Benefits of having AYUSH coverage under health insurance
If you are planning to buy a new health insurance plan for yourself or your family, you should consider buying an insurance plan that also offers AYUSH treatment benefits. After thorough research, you will find that the benefits of health insurance with AYUSH benefits are much greater than regular coverage. Here are some benefits of seeking medical insurance with AYUSH benefits:
- It is the most effective way of treatment especially in managing overall health and non-surgical or non-invasive treatments. So, if you have any minor or persistent health issues, AYUSH is a good choice for you.
- The cost of AYUSH treatment is very low compared to the cost of mainstream medical treatment. There are many reasons behind this, but one major reason is the low license and patent price.
- Being a traditional way of treatment, it is very easy to find an AYUSH doctor in remote areas where a large hospital is not available.
- These treatments are most effective for the elderly. This is because, along with aging, the human body’s ability to withstand the rigors of mainstream medical treatment also decreases. In such cases, a mild treatment with mild medications may be appropriate. Since the medicines in AYUSH treatment are mild, it is well suited for the elderly.
- AYUSH treatment works well for lifestyle diseases, which is the most common problem with people of all ages nowadays. People who suffer from back pain, obesity, etc. due to sitting and working for long hours. AYUSH treatment is a good option to combat all these problems.
- Another reason to choose AYUSH treatment as an option is its ease of covering a wide variety of treatment options. These are simple and effective remedies for mild health problems. Moreover, sometimes even in the early stages of some serious diseases, these treatments have shown successful results.
* Standard T&C Apply
Hence, you should ensure that your health insurance policy has AYUSH benefits in your coverage. If it does not, you can speak to your insurance provider. If there is a way to add these benefits to your coverage, do it at the earliest. Otherwise, it is better to switch to a different insurance provider that offers these benefits. If you are buying health insurance for the first time, make sure that AYUSH is included in your coverage and your policy is within your budget. You can use a health insurance premium calculator to do that. Insurance is the subject matter of solicitation. For more details on benefits, exclusions, limitations, terms and conditions, please read sales brochure/policy wording carefully before concluding a sale.